Attending the Royal Melbourne Show is a family tradition for some, however for many others it is expensive and unaffordable. The price of entry, rides, activities and show bags can feel like the cost of a weekend away and you may start thinking that would have been the better option. But how could you let this pricing problem stop you from experiencing one of Melbourne’s most exciting school holiday events? Not many people know there are plenty of ways to help make going to the show more affordable. Here’s some:
- Pre Purchase Your Tickets
Many make the mistake of showing up to the show and purchasing tickets. But if you think about it, the tickets are going to be higher in price because at this point there is no other way for you to get in. Buying tickets at the gate not only means standing in the long queue of people just like you who also did not plan ahead, but it means your tickets are a lot more. Online ticket pricing ranges are as followed;
- Adult (Aged 15+) – $40.00
- Child (Aged 5 – 14) – $20.00
- Concession (Valid Card Holder) – $26.00
- Family A (2 Adults, 2 Children) – $80.00
- Family B (1 Adult, 3 Children) – $70.00
- 2 Day VIP Pass – $85.00
2. Pre Purchase Your Ride Passes
Rides will most likely be one of the costly purchases of your day. There are so many to choose from that you won’t be able to be resist paying for them before realising too late that half of your set budget has disappeared on a 30 second fun ride. These rides can cost anywhere between $5 and $20 with the child ones being the cheapest and generally the older and more popular rides being the most expensive. Pre-purchasing means you get more bang for you buck and, if you are attending with a group of friends or family, then you can share the pass.
These ride pass prices are listed as below.
- $35.00 worth of rides for $25.00
- $55.00 worth of rides for $40.00
- $70.00 worth of rides for $50.00
- $105.00 worth of rides for $75.00
- $140.00 worth of rides for $99.00
- $200.00 worth of rides for $140.00
3. RACV Members Get Discounts
If you are a RACV member make sure to purchase tickets by visiting your local RACV store or using your membership number to purchase them online as you can save up to 20%. The RACV membership prices are listed as below.
- Adult (Aged 15+) – $40 $32.00
- Child (Aged 5 – 14) – $20.00 $18.00
- Concession (Valid Card Holder) – $26.00 $24.50
- Family A (2 Adults, 2 Children) – $80.00 $76.00
4. Enter after 5pm
Generally, many people, especially a lot of families, enter the show first thing in the morning then, once it gets to 5pm the grounds become more quiet. For this reason, the Royal Melbourne Show offers a discount of up to 50% off when entering after this time. Entering during this period does not mean you will miss out on all of the activities as they all run into the night and the show stays open until 9pm. Also, it places you in prime time to watch the evening firework display.
The prices of this deal are listed as below
- Adult (Age 15+) – $40.00 $20.00
- Child (Age 5 – 14) – $20.00 $10.00
- Concession (Valid Card Holder) – $26.00 $20.00
5. Get your show bags later on in the day
Not too many people know this but getting in early to get your show bags isn’t always the best way to do it. Yes, opting to get your show bags at the end of the day does mean your run the risk of your favourite one being sold out, but it also increases your chances of getting it at a cheaper price. By the end of the day, if a show bag has not been selling well (or the opposite, where it has sold very well and it is nearly completely sold) out the stands will sell them at a discounted price to sell them more quickly. This gives you the chance to get your desired show bag at a cheaper price.
The Royal Melbourne Show will be running from the September 22 to October 2 and will be held at the Melbourne Showgrounds in Flemington. For more information and to purchase online tickets visit the website here.